What is Cities of Light Shabbat?
Combining performance with lecture presentations and interactive workshops, Cities of Light Shabbat is a unique weekend of learning for children and adults alike. That rare combination of scholar, educator, and performer, Rebecca will expose your community to a treasure-trove of quintessentially modern Jewish performance. Welcome to the world of International Jewish Cabaret!
What can Cities of Light Shabbat include?
- An evening cabaret performance of Cities of Light.
- A formal lecture -- integrated into or separate from services.
- A program for young people, connecting inter-war Jewish cabaret to the contemporary Jewish music scene.
- A workshop on Tel Aviv's cabarets and their role in the building of the State, with congregants acting out some of the most biting comedic sketches of the day.
- Other sessions tailored to the specific interests of the community.
Who is Rebecca Joy Fletcher?
Rebecca is a scholar and performer of International Jewish Cabaret. She is also a playwright, actress and invested cantor. Rebecca's passion for the history, music, and culture of 1920's and 30's cabarets in Berlin, Paris, Warsaw, and Tel Aviv has taken her around the world as a lecturer, performer, and scholar. She has been awarded prestigious international research and performance grants and has thrilled audiences from Jerusalem to Florida with her newest theatrical cabaret, Cities of Light.